Jean-Paul began his cello career in 1995 with the “Young Strings” program at the age of six in his hometown of Dallas, Texas. But it wasn’t until he began performing in college that he discovered music could be his actual career path, and that’s what he’s done full-time in Los Angeles since 2014. Since graduating with a Bachelors’s degree in Music from the University of Tulsa, Jean-Paul has performed with well-known artists such as Alicia Keys, Shawn Mendes, Khalid, OneRepublic, Andy Grammer, J. Cole, and Kanye West, to name a few.
In 2015, he held a recurring musician role on the hit TV show, “Glee,” and he’s been a principal actor/musician in 3 national commercials; his favorite had him working with world-renowned film composer, Hans Zimmer. Jean-Paul has performed at venues all throughout Southern California, doing a full range of musical genres with both local and touring musicians. His special skill is the ability to play by ear and improvise on the fly! This asset, along with his classical training, has gotten him numerous recording opportunities at some of the finest studios in L.A., including Capitol Records in Hollywood. Whether he’s playing for music videos, nightclub performances, film scores, or televised shows, Jean-Paul credits moving to L.A. as the reason he’s been able to sustain a full-time career in the entertainment field. His big hopes are to go on another music tour in the future, so he can continue showcasing his musical gift to the world!
Jean-Paul's past performances
Booking and General Policy
- Get in touch with us via email, phone, or chat with us on our website to set an appointment.
- Choose a musician, group, or package and ask for a draft contract. For ceremony & cocktail bookings, you may opt to book online through our interactive tool. Refer to our calendar to check for an available slot for your event date.
- Secure the date by depositing a down payment of 25% through our interactive tool and pay via credit card, venmo, paypal, or send us a check.
Your booking is automatically confirmed upon receipt of the deposit OR signed contract!
Please note: If we don’t receive the signed contract OR the required deposit within 7 days from the date of the contract, we will need to re-confirm the artist(s) availability again.
Once your booking is confirmed, you will receive a username and password to access our portal. You may now create your custom wedding playlist via our interactive portal.
Please use our interactive tool to choose among thousands of songs in our playlist. There you can choose songs for your ceremony and cocktail hour.
We understand that at times, the unexpected happens. Our policy on cancellations are written below:
- For cancellations 30 days before the event, you will receive a 100% refund of the deposit amount.
- For cancellations less than 30 days before the event, the deposit is non-refundable.
Please Provide Shade/Umbrella
- We require a shade/umbrella for our musicians, instruments, and audio equipment. This is due to the extreme sensitivity of musical instruments to changes in temperature and exposure to sunlight and humidity. In some cases exposure to elements may lead to irreparable damage to the instruments.
Please Prepare a Covered/Dry Location in Case of Rain
- We require a covered/dry location for our musicians, instruments, and audio equipment in case of rain. Exposure to water or humidity is damaging to our musical instruments and audio equipment. In some cases exposure to elements may lead to irreparable damage to the instruments.
- We love playing outdoors but in lower temperatures please provide a heater for our musicians. Our musicians remain outdoors for more than an hour with an additional hour to set up before the appointment. The heater will keep them warm before and during their performance.
Cello is more difficult than guitar, and you can’t realistically expect to teach yourself. Guitar is much easier, so you can learn it without any lessons just by watching YouTube videos and playing around. If you can afford lessons, then I’d recommend going with the instrument you prefer. But overall, all instruments require patience, dedication and expertise to learn and master.
Solo cellists, when performing by themselves, can either perform unaccompanied or with backing tracks. When speaking to live music for wedding cellists, the general consensus was that classical music worked well for unaccompanied cellists, and that pop songs required backing tracks or an accompanist on the piano or tracks.These days brides and grooms tend to go for more popular modern pieces.
Many of the songs stick with one genre throughout but nearly all of these have a different and distinct sound. A few songs will also switch genres randomly such as semi-automatic. But with Jean Paul, no doubt that he can learn it because of his skills to play by ear and improvise on the fly, also with his experiences doing a full range of musical genres in both local and touring Los Angeles musicians. And most especially you can assure that you and your guests will get live music which you will enjoy and have fun.
Many of the acts and Los Angeles live bands listed on our website do showcase these testimonials or reviews from previous clients on their profile. In addition, you can find and read there the things which you will need to know more about the musician you want to hire including their description, skills, specialization and even their past performance. However, if they aren’t available, never be scared to ask for them or even to us!